The John D. Ashcroft, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association Scholarship
Application Deadline: March 28, 2019
The John D. Ashcroft scholarship is selected annually from applicants in their 1L or 2L year of law school. The scholarship is a onetime award of approximately $1,500 and is issued to the university in the fall of the year following the selection. The scholarship has provided over $30,000 in financial assistance to law school students since its inception.
The purposes of this scholarship are:
- To aid and encourage students to practice in the communities served by the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association.
- To promote collegiality within the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association.
- To foster and increase a spirit of participation by the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association in community service.
Factors that will be favorably considered include:
- Domicile in the Southwest Missouri region
- Ties to the Southwest Missouri region (previous residence, family)
- An interest in practicing law in Southwest Missouri
- Financial need
Applicants must currently be enrolled in their first or second year of law school.
Submit the following:
- Applicant contact information
- Name, current address, permanent address, mobile phone, email
- High School (dates, school, honors and awards)
- Undergraduate (dates, school(s), area of study, honors and awards)
- Graduate School, other than law (dates, school(s), area of study, honors and awards)
- Law School (dates, school(s), honors and awards)
- List of extracurricular activities and work history for the past 5 years
- Statement (500 words or fewer) describing why applicant should be selected, including post-law school plans.
- Unofficial undergraduate and law school transcripts.
Please note, you are not required to submit official/ certified transcripts when you apply for this scholarship. However, if you are selected to receive the scholarship, you will be required to submit official transcripts, certified by registrar, before funds are disbursed.
The Selection Committee will be comprised of three or more members in good standing of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association to be appointed and serve at the pleasure of the President of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association. The scholarship amount is determined annually and is not to exceed the income on the principal amount deposited with the Community Foundation of the Ozarks in the John D. Ashcroft, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association Scholarship Fund.
By submitting an application for this scholarship, applicant attests that the representations and documents submitted are true and correct, and if selected will write a letter of acceptance addressed to Crista Hogan, Executive Director of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association.
Entries ABSOLUTELY MUST be received on or before the application deadline at 5:00 p.m. If you have questions please contact Ginger Gooch at 417 268-4000. Email applications to Ginger.Gooch@huschblackwell.com